I put my final project prints under pressure today with the intention to add new silk fabric on top every 4 or so days while deconstructing the dyed knitted pieces more each time. The logwood swatch has a hole that will get bigger as the swatch gets lighter and the madder swatch will get unraveled, the silk fabric getting longer and longer each time to accommodate the unraveling of the swatch. I also have an osage and brazilwood swatch which I'm not sure yet how they will be deconstructed. I plan on presenting them as individual series'.
from bottom to top: osage, cochineal, madder, logwood, brazilwood, fustic, cochineal, brazilwood, madder, osage, logwood, cochineal.
"We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning"
note to self:
*remember: coincidence that on Heisenberg's wiki page is the same picture of snowflakes that I was studying a few weeks ago, and considering doing an installation on.
I began solid prints #2 today and I think I'll leave them even longer this time, perhaps 9 days. I put them in extra wet this time and arranged them so all the fine swatches were placed on one side of the table and the thick ones on the other. I think having the thick ones beside the thin ones didn't allow for enough pressure on the thin ones, creating mostly an outline of the thinner ones.
I also think the madder and cochineal may not have many more prints in them, if even a second one. We'll see next week.
today I took the first prints out and they look great. I'm really happy with the results. All the details to come in another post.